"The Thursday Football Experience"
It's just a silly game that we play

. Forum Upgrade? Go back
MRGRIM
1000+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject: Forum Upgrade?
Figured I'd post here, I guess this is mainly for Chris / Paul (if still reading) to comment. I have been reading some of Dale’s posts and a continuing theme / comment seems to be "the forum isn't up to date" which leads me to believe that we would be better off with a new forum. One that supports file submissions and also tables (as a minimum). I also feel it’s also important that we get user registration re-enabled (SPAM prevention for this is critical)

The obvious upgrade path is phpBB3, however table posting for this is a BB Code hack and it isn’t great, I’d like to throw it open to other posters (have you seen / do you use) any other forum that would possibly benefit TTFE? Post the URLs below and we can evaluate them.

Chris: Are there any limitations on our current hosting package?
Alternatively we could look at something like Drop box or Google Doc’s so that Dale / Joe can host their spreadsheets and provide public viewing access to them?

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts (personally I am not overly bothered, but I am looking for solutions to help)
therealjoebloggs
2000+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post Post subject:
I will reply to this later - have been giving this some thought.
2000+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post Post subject:
I think that everyone would be in agreement that the current serves the majority of TTFE's needs; plus it is a forum that we all know how to use and few problems arise.

I have to admit that most of the forums that I come across or use are some form of phpBB anyway, which is great to use. I'm certainly no expert and I couldn't tell from the other (I simply look at the 'Powered by' bit at the bottom). I'm willing to leave the evaluation of a potential new forum to the pros.

One thing I wouldn't like is a forum that has huge signatures and flashing images. I have complete and utter disdain for any forum where the signature is larger than the post itself, complete with a stupid massive image. They would go in my [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_101_(TV_series)]Room 101[/url].

To widen the discussion I'd say that an option for storing documents should be considered. Dale and Pete keep wonderful, but painstaking statistics on TTFE (i.e. attendance in graph form, who has played with who etc..) and with their consent it would be great to have them on the site for members to see. Needless to say, if the Non Regulars League remains to be the status quo I think that the option of downloading the spreadsheet will improve transparency. I would also like the TTFE questionnaire to be an annual feature, so I will be uploading the results up here too. I know I have been using Google Docs, but I'm willing to try other methods.

What I would like though is a review of the whole site and see what is needed - especially in reference to the black page.
1000+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject:
Joe I am not sure what you mean could you please clarify?

This

Most forums (inc this one) have settings that can be changed to lock down avatars and signatures.
therealjoebloggs
2000+ posts
spacer
Post Post subject:
Those have to be the most annoying signatures I've ever seen... and that's saying something....
100+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
Can we enable HTML and I guess in turn CSS for this formus, in the WYSIWYG.

It's a proper pain in the arse to space.
therealjoebloggs
2000+ posts
spacer
Post Post subject:
Pugh wrote:
Can we enable HTML and I guess in turn CSS for this formus, in the WYSIWYG.

It's a proper pain in the arse to space.

I have no idea what's happening here! Reminds me of this....
Site Admin
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
I've enabled HTML as requested.

TTFE Poolmania Champion 2011!
plasmo
Site Admin
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
Each forum upgrade I've tried has failed... I don't know how to proceed now! Sad

I've tried the standard methods on the phpbb site to upgrade from 2 to 3 but get timeout issues.

I've tried this: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/offline-conversions/

Using that though, I get £ (pound sign) issues.

I can fix the £ sign issues with the following script:
Code:
UPDATE    phpbb_posts_text
SET              post_text = REPLACE(post_text, '£', '£')
where post_text like '%£%'

But the conversion still fails...

Here was what I tried to do:

Quote:
Forum Upgrade Plan

Overview: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/offline-conversions/
BigDump: http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/
Cookie Fix: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/configuring-domain%2Bscript-path%2Bcookie-settings/

1. Prep:
1. Install Xamp Locally -DONE
2. Create 'old' database locally - DONE
3. Create 'new' database locally - DONE
4. Create 'old' site locally - DONE
5. Create 'new' site locally - DONE
6. Install phpbb3 in new - DONE

2. Conversion:
1. phpbb2:
1. Put forum in maintenance mode (so users cannot change it!) - DONE
2. Copy files from live forum to htdocs\old on my local machine - DONE
3. Change forum to Standard skin - DONE
4. Backup forum from LIVE - DONE
5. Copy it to old/dump - DONE
6. Restore 'old' database on my machine using bigdump - DONE
7. Run Cookie fix against local 'old' forum - DONE
8. Run script to fix £ sign issue: - DONE

1. UPDATE phpbb_posts_text SET post_text = REPLACE(post_text, '£', '£') where post_text like '%£%'

2. phpbb3:

1. Run Conversion

3. Move to LIVE:
1. Backup the database from 'new'
2. Copy files to LIVE server
3. Restore database to LIVE Server
4. Change the skin back and set it as all online!

Can anyone help?

TTFE Poolmania Champion 2011!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thursdayfootball.co.uk Forum Index » General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: