. .
Logo thursdayfootball.co.uk
"The Thursday Football Experience"
It's just a silly game that we play

. Bahrain GP Go back
plasmo
Site Admin
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Post subject: Bahrain GP
It's been discussed on the news a bit recently so...

Should the Bahrain GP be going ahead with the civil unrest and protests there?

Is sport separate from politics or should F1 be setting an example?

TTFE Poolmania Champion 2011!
Luco
500+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post Post subject:
Todt is a tit.

Ecclestone is a great tit.

The Bahraini government are tits.

Why isn't Suzy Perry in the pit?

She's fit.
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
That's it!
She is fit!
I'd like to see her sli...err... I'll start again..

Your poem was full of wit!
It might be won by a Brit?
But should they be hosting it?
With all the rioting shit?

therealjoebloggs
2000+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post Post subject:
Double edged sword - how can F1 spread its appeal and not go to places in the Middle East to give the people of Bahrain the chance to see one of these races. That way the sport is truly global and gives countries a chance to put theselves in a positive light on the world stage. But on the other hand how can such a presigious sport be hosting a race in a politically unstable country, where protests are evidently bloody and whose government openly supports human rights abuses such as torture? You can't put overseas fans in that position.

My opinion is that it shouldn't have gone ahead, like last year, mainly down to the issue of safety for drivers, teams and fans alike. But if I'm honest and to take it further, China like Bahrain shouldn't have a grand prix either on the basis on human rights.

Then again if the interantional community can allow and tolerate an Olympics to be hosted in Beijing, then why not F1.

To be the cynic I hate to say it but it boils down to one thing and one thing only - Money.
Site Admin
spacer
Post Post subject:
I agree with all of that but I kinda like the idea that F1 isn't getting too involved in the politics...

i.e. There is a race track that is up to the safety regulations that the sport requires... let's race on it!

At the same time, I can see the flip side... Human rights* are hugely important - I wouldn't want to live and work in China or Bahrain.

*By human rights, I mean the proper ones... not the BS ones that are quoted in this country all the time... It's my human right to get free money even though I can't be arsed to work... human rights should extend to freedom... of thought, speech and otherwise. They should be about how people are treated but shouldn't mean that you are given everything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    thursdayfootball.co.uk Forum Index » General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: