. .
Logo thursdayfootball.co.uk
"The Thursday Football Experience"
It's just a silly game that we play

. A trip to Oswestry Go back
therealjoebloggs
2000+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post Post subject: A trip to Oswestry
Last weekend I went up to Oswestry to watch my brother Nathan (aka "Brick Wall" name chosen by Chris) and his team Cardiff Grange Quins play in the Welsh Cup Quarter Final against The New Saints. If you know your Welsh football, you will know that TNS are possibly one of the major forces in the league, whilst the Quins play 3 divisions below them.

It was a good game and although they pushed them into extra time, they finally lost 2-0. He played in goal and to be honest had very little to do! Some of you have asked for the link to see the game's highlights and I'm only happy to oblige! Sadly it is in Welsh (Sgorio on S4C) but the commentator does do a good job in making an English surname like my own as Welsh as possible.

Here is the link - enjoy!
500+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post Post subject:
Very controversial 2nd goal. Off side player getting in the way of the defender. Shouldn't have stood.
cavedweller2000
500+ posts
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
I was wondering why you were following the Quins around!

Someone who used to play for The Sidekicks (my former Thursday team down leisure leagues) played for them.

Fair play to them though for mixing it up with arguably the Man Utd of the Welsh Premier League.

I also agree with Luke. Offside all the way!

Well done Nath!
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Post Post subject:
Just looked it up (to confirm my decision as i have recently qualified as a ref) and the 2nd goal was 'probably' legit with the laws of the game as they currently stand.

Examples 3 and 4 on page 103 and more importantly example 9 on page 106 of the 'FIFA Laws of the Game 2010/11' cover this.

I would have given offside, but i think i would have been wrong as the law clearly states:
Quote:
'an attacker in an offside position runs towards the ball preventing the opponent from playing or being able to play the ball'.
In this case the attacker who was in an offside position did neither, he stopped and didn't run towards the ball, and although he was at one point in the defenders way the defender was still able to play the ball, and did so before miscontroling and allowing the ONSIDE attacker to score. It's an interesting one, to say the least!!

I'd have loved to have seen a side view of the first goal as well, hint of offside in it...

Did not know that TNS played on an articficial pitch!
spacer
Reply with quote View user's profile Send private message
Post Post subject:
Wish Nathan would replace Joe at TTFE

Very Happy

jenks wrote:
Just looked it up (to confirm my decision as i have recently qualified as a ref) ...

Until we see papers, you ain't qualified to comment on anything ... backup! Known your role!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    thursdayfootball.co.uk Forum Index » General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: